The Mortuary Chapel is an open Ionic temple by Patrick Byrne completed in 1836. It forms the central focus of Goldenbridge Cemetery, established by Daniel O’Connell and the Catholic Association in 1829 as Ireland’s first garden cemetery following the European model of municipal cemeteries. Derelict and badly vandalised, the chapel was repared in phases, including roof structure and coverings, external render of Roman cement and interior plasterwork. Timber sash windows and internal surrounds were reinstated based on surviving fragments and photographic evidence. Care was taken not to ‘over-restore’, and worn finishes were retained so that the age of the building remains apparent at close quarters. A Conservation Plan for the cemetery was prepared in 2011 with funding assistance from the Heritage Council.
Lotts Architecture and Urbanism
South William Street
Tel/Fax: +353 (0) 1 6771006
Email: Click Here